It’s been a while, as Stacey and I have been working on starting a new tutoring company in Bend. We’ve been lean and agile about growing this company, using some commonly referred-to tools here at Unconventure. Plus, we’ve hired a team of 8 awesome tutors to finish out the school year, and prepare us for a heavy market growth at the beginning of next year.
So, here are the tools I’ve used to get this company going:
- WordPress (of course) for our website
- Custom Design using Responsive (mobile/tablet) Techniques
- Shopp Plugin for e-commerce
- Google Voice for phone number/message transcription and texting
- GMail for Admin Email
- Local USPS PO Box for Snail Mail
- Microsoft Excel for profile spreadsheets
- Craigslist for hiring local talent
- Substitute Teacher Mailing List – Lots of part-time highly qualified talent
- Google AdWords to target Bend Local Student-Searchers
- Facebook Ads to target Bend Local Students
- Standard Paper Fliers – plastered all over town to get our name/brand out there
So far, we are succeeding in getting most of our tutors working with students. There has been nothing but super-positive feedback on the pairings of our tutors with the students (personality matches, interests, etc.).
So, it’s going well, and we’re happy to be starting this unconventional business to serve the Bend community with a highly-needed educational service.